HomeWorldMan arrested in connection with £1.25m drug seizure in Larne Port tells...
- Advertisment -

Man arrested in connection with £1.25m drug seizure in Larne Port tells police he ‘swallowed 100 wraps of heroin’ IV News

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

A man arrested in connection with a £1.25million drug seizure at Larne Port in England told police he had swallowed 100 raps of heroin, a court heard today.

A detective said 22-year-old Mohammed Khan is believed to have made the claim to avoid being brought to Northern Ireland for questioning about a consignment of cocaine and cannabis.

- Advertisement -

Khan from Salt Street in Bradford was remanded in custody on charges of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

The haul was discovered on 17 December last year during a search of a lorry that arrived at a crossing from Scotland.

- Advertisement -

The Belfast Magistrates’ Court heard that seven kilos of cocaine, 32 kilos of cannabis, and five kilos of ketamine were found inside the cab of the vehicle.

The lorry’s driver, 60-year-old Donald Moore, a resident of Forthriver Road in Belfast, is currently out on bail facing confiscation charges.

Khan was detained by the organized crime unit of the PSNI on Wednesday after being questioned by police in Yorkshire and the West Midlands.

A detective said CCTV footage and surveillance identified him as the person involved in an alleged conversation with Moore at a service station in England.

Khan took an empty bag from the cab and returned with it, heavy and full, moments later, it was claimed.

“When I stopped that vehicle in Larne, there were these seven blocks of cocaine in that very recognizable bag,” said the detective.

Opposing bail, he insisted on cocaine’s high degree of purity.

“We believe this would be a sign of a person of reasonable standing within an organized crime gang,” the detective said.

Doubts were also expressed that Khan would ever return to Northern Ireland if released.

“He was very afraid of flying and didn’t fully understand where he was,” the detective said.

“After his arrest he told officers that he had swallowed 100 packets of heroin, which we believe should be avoided by going into custody and coming here.”

Those claims led to Khan being taken to a hospital for a medical examination.

Asked if the tests showed any signs of drug abuse, the detective replied: “He had no ill effects (if he swallowed anything)”.

During cross-examination, there was no indication that Khan’s fingerprints were found on drugs.

Defense attorney Declan Quinn also insisted on a 24-hour period between the alleged handover and the seizure.

He told District Judge Amanda Brady that his client lives at home with a mother and disabled brother who is dependent on him.

“This (allegedly offensive) is completely out of character,” Mr Quinn said.

“The defendant is too much fish out of water, he is crying and is a sign of someone being completely out of depth.”

Refusing bail, Mrs Brady identified the risk of committing the crime again.

She said: “I appreciate that he is a young man in a very difficult situation and can be confused about what is really going on.

“However, it was an extremely large amount of drugs.”

He remanded Khan in custody to appear again via video-link on October 21.

Meanwhile, a 41-year-old man accused in the probe is also to be produced in the same court next month.

- Advertisement -
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular